Hi Robert,

Thanks for the suggestion.

You're not the first to make the suggestion - the same suggestion has been
made many times in the past. You can search the archives if you want to see
those discussions.

There are a number of problems with this proposal:

1) History. There are 10 years of archives and blog links that reference
existing discussions. If we rename the group, all those links break. That
would be a huge loss to the community.

2) More importantly, you can't solve a social problem with technology. At
the end of the day, it's a name. It doesn't matter which name you pick -
*someone* is going to interpret it incorrectly. To pick some of the
suggestions that have been made:

 * "Django Masters" and "Django Private" both imply that newcomers aren't
welcome to join and make suggestions, which is a social signal we don't
want to send.
 * "Django Core" could be interpreted to mean that it's only for the core
team - and, by the by, there *is* a "django-core" list for private core
team discussions (there aren't many of these, but it sometimes necessary
for security sensitive issues, etc)
 * "Django debate" doesn't make it clear who is discussing what.

Yes, I agree that the "you should be posting to Django-users" message isn't
ideal, and some of the responses that are given don't have the best tone.
If your first message to a Django group gets a response that sounds like
"go away", that's not a good look for the community.

However, I *guarantee* that renaming the list won't make this problem go
away.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAJxq84_FzXsG0qTQN%2BXL643QV9%3D-KTixMZxz74iwDLC8xkxgtw%40mail.gmail.com.