> Changing the group display name wouldn't change any links.
>
> This is the main point, I think. In this thread, and the one linked to by
Sam Lai, the main objection was link rot.  Despite how strongly this was
asserted, this isn't an objection, as renaming a group doesn't change any
URLs.

Russ's statement that "you can't fix a social problem with technology",
while in itself obiviously highly debateable*, is not really relevant. This
isn't an attempt to fix social problems, it's just doing something to help
avoid confusion. And it's not really a technological solution, it's just
renaming something.

If it were called The Carly Simon Fan Club we shouldn't be surprised that
Carly Simon fan(s?) started posting, and we wouldn't then hesitate to
rename it just because we can conceive that some people might still
misinterpret the name we changed it to. This is not as extreme as that, but
the same logic applies. *Loads* of people make the same mistake. Why don't
we try changing the name for six months and see whether the confusion
lessens?

* Social problem: people who've never met want to be able to communicate on
the record to collaborate on a common project. Technological answer: Google
Groups. My point: "social problem" is too vague a term for this. You can't
fix every social problem, but you can name things less confusingly.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/c37f24d7-1464-45b1-94ce-fa117c513534%40googlegroups.com.