Hi,

I'm no experienced developer nor a Django contributor, but I "suffered" from this theme too. What I tried in the past is to create a Django "application", or more a framework (https://pypi.org/project/gdaps/), to support "plugins" which consist of a backend (the django part), and an included frontend (which shoud contain a "plugin" of a Js-framework like Vue.js or Angular, etc) that "blends" in into the web client dynamically.

I have experimented with using templates serving Vue code, or separating the part that is served to the browser from the Django backend in a different directory, bypassing Django templates, and did not succeed much.

This all is not directly related to the theme here, but where it is connected, is that, for writing a modern application nowadays, you IMHO have to be responsive in the frontend, and I think that async calls are not smart enough to solve that.

If you ever tried the "easiness" of Meteor, you always envy that when using Django with templates.

So: If I had a wish to Santa Claus :-), I would really support Django having "Channels" (or however it may be named) included more deeply into the system: I think that the Templates approach is not the worst, because it is very flexible. It just doesn't have a solution to the communication problem between server and client. Again, if I could wish something, It would be Integration of frontend frameworks into the template language and having calls to e.g. DRF included INTO the template language, like the "batteries included" approach of Meteor with their "connected" variables that update automatically when another client changes them.

This all is possible with Django DRF, channels and a modern Js framework, but VERY much boilerplate code and hand-written updates, no-way modern.

I know it's much I demand here - I just want to add my 2cents - Django is GREAT software.

It's just that the frontend side (templates, auto-communication and data bindings) did not gain that much love as the backend.

Maybe you'll say "Hey, Django IS only a backend". Yes and no. If so, you can remove the templates completely. It's not a backend, it just focussed on the backend more than on the frontend.

If there would be a way to integrate channels more deeply into Django, together with frontend 2-way data bindings, push notifications etc., I would really appreciate it and could imagine supporting that using money too.

Cheers,

Christian