I'm in the camp of having a flexible policy that allows us to have
discussions that examine the current state of the Django and Python
ecosystems. This allows us to make informed decisions.

As several folks have mentioned before, 3.6 was a more momentous release
than most versions of Python. Since moving to it, features that I didn't
think I'd like initially have grown into ones I couldn't imagine working
without, such as f-strings. Easier to read, less cognitive load of "fill in
the blank" replacement, more beautiful code, straightforward to explain
newcomers, and faster?! That's just one example of a huge win that might
lower the bar to entry of contribution to Django. More efficient memory use
in dicts and type annotations are other big wins.

I typically might lean to the side of supporting versions for longer, but
in this case, I'm firmly in the 3.6 camp because of the nature of the
release.

I also thought I'd mention that within my organization, the version of
Python that Django supports is a driver that I appreciate. While some
groups keep up with the latest Python versions, other groups aren't as
good, only upgrading when necessary. I won't get into the politics of the
developers who want newer versions versus sysadmins who don't want to
change, but I've appreciated Django helping move things forward.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/d108f73f-72cc-4180-a26b-95920413adcf%40googlegroups.com.
          • ... Tim Graham
          • ... Joe Tennies
          • ... Tim Graham
          • ... Carlton Gibson
          • ... Joe Tennies
          • ... Alex Krupp
          • ... Joe Tennies
          • ... Carlton Gibson
  • R... Joe Tennies
  • R... 'Ivan Anishchuk' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
    • ... Tim Allen