Can you explain more about what they struggled with? Maybe there's other
ways to solve those problems.

On Friday, January 25, 2019 at 9:43:37 AM UTC-5, Tom Forbes wrote:

> This message really resonated with me, especially after helping a few
> beginners get started with Python and watching them struggle with exactly
> this kind of thing.
>
> I'd be +1 on following Python. Looking through the diff there is not a
> huge amount of things to remove and IMO none of them are really holding us
> back or all that serious. We've fixed some issues with mangling cached
> property names, some workarounds for ModuleNotFoundError/ImportError and an
> issue with sqlite3 on 3.5.
>
> On 24 January 2019 at 20:33:42, Carlton Gibson (carlton...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>) wrote:
>
> To be honest, I'm surprised there's even one person who comes within a
> 1000 miles of this list who's using Python 3.5. :)
>
> My reason for thinking we should follow Python's supported versions is
> users, and particularly beginning users, who have got they-don't-know
> version and find a tutorial just what... no sorry need... `pip3 install
> Django` to work, and give them the version of Django that corresponds to
> what they see when they visit docs.djangoproject.com.
>
> I don't agree this is theoretical at all.
>
> It's not just Debian. (Which doesn't fit my mental model here really...)
>
> It's all those few-years-old computers out there.
>
> It's for example Raspbian, which as of this month is still shipping Python
> 3.5.
>
> So my boy, who's 10, says,
>
> - What would you use?
> - Well I'd use Django (obviously)
> - Can I use that?
> - Yeah...
>
> If we do drop Python 3.5 I have to say, "Well, no. But you can use this
> old one." That's not as cool.
> But there will be people who are more seriously affected.
>
> > Who is saying, "I want to use the latest version of Django, but I want
> to use a really old version of Python."
>
> No one is saying this. The notion of versions doesn't come into it. We're
> well beyond the barrier-to-entry before we get there.
> I (just my opinion on this) think we mistake our audience if we forget
> this.
> (For this reason I don't think the deployment issue is the relevant one.
> It's about people learning to programme, not professionals.)
>
> We can't support everything forever, and I'm as keen as anyone to push
> forward, but following Python is (for me) the thing we should do.
> I think Django's position in the Python eco-system requires it.
>
> Of course if we don't, things are easier for us, yes.
>
> Again, just my opinion.
> C.
> <javascript:>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/19e099cf-6087-4efd-9138-d338f12bbf2c%40googlegroups.com
>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/19e099cf-6087-4efd-9138-d338f12bbf2c%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/c25bb851-f334-48d4-bdd4-470c0ff10e2c%40googlegroups.com.
      • ... Carlton Gibson
        • ... Carlton Gibson
          • ... Adam Johnson
          • ... Ryan Hiebert
          • ... Tim Graham
          • ... Ryan Hiebert
          • ... Carlton Gibson
          • ... Tom Forbes
          • ... Dan Davis
          • ... Florian Apolloner
          • ... Tim Graham
          • ... Joe Tennies
          • ... Tim Graham
          • ... Carlton Gibson
          • ... Joe Tennies
          • ... Alex Krupp
          • ... Joe Tennies
          • ... Carlton Gibson
  • R... Joe Tennies
  • R... 'Ivan Anishchuk' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
    • ... Tim Allen