To put it short, the barrier to entry is far too high and difficult for
newcomers and even long time users of Django.

I agree with others sentiment that there isn't anything that trac can do
which github issues cannot, especially for the overwhelming majority of
tickets. As a long time user of Django myself, I agree with Andrew Godwins
statement on Django loosing many contributors over the years and being in
largely maintenance mode.

I believe this has contributed significantly to the current culture that
things are fine as a third party application and that most big new features
or additions are simply too difficult, or not worth the effort etc. There
is very much a culture of "it can't be, or wont be done", and is quite
pessimistic. That's simply one point of my assessment about the current
culture, and isn't meant to be derogatory towards the current contributors
and the fine work they are doing.

I agree that something like django-async, big, bold, new features are
exactly what Django needs to get new people on board and actively
participating in the project. The barrier to that should be as low as
possible, and the entire development process should be as consolidated,
clear, and accessible as possible. That's why I think moving the majority
of this forum and trac to github issues is the right move.

For a couple of recent-ish background posts that discuss much of this:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/django-developers/aiyE__qSHBY/discussion

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-developers/5CVsR9FSqmg/qKD3QCrLCAAJ

On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 11:24:45 PM UTC-7, John Gooding wrote:

> I'd like to propose moving Django issues to github and make a real
> decision on it here in this thread. If there has been a recent discussion
> on this I apologize, but searching for issue tracking / github links to
> about every thread ever posted here.
>
> I believe this would lower the barrier to entry and to help promote
> community involvement. People are already there, people already use it, and
> we already do pull requests there. Now I could be wrong here, but I also
> feel that it would improve and promote discussion about changes and feature
> additions to Django, because right now they are pretty hidden away in the
> current system.
>
> I'd also like to see the inclusion of a "discussion" label or similar for
> issues. I think many of the conversations here on this forum would be much
> better off as github issues. I see a lot of great stuff, and it's not clear
> at all what the status is, has it moved forward, been officially denied?
> etc. If they are github issues they will have definitive resolutions,
> whatever it may be, and links to relevant code, PR's etc if needed.
>
> I think there is a huge amount to gain by consolidating the ticket system
> and many of the discussions on this forum into github's issue tracker. I
> don't see any reason why it wouldn't be wroth the effort, and we only have
> much to gain as a community from it. But that's just my 2 cents. I'd love
> to hear what others think, for or against it.
>
> John

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/0daef247-f5fd-486a-b07f-2d8ab79eea9f%40googlegroups.com.
  • ... John Gooding
    • ... Aymeric Augustin
      • ... John Gooding
        • ... Josh Smeaton
          • ... Carlton Gibson
            • ... Andrew Godwin
              • ... John Gooding
    • ... John Gooding
      • ... Carlton Gibson
        • ... Tim Graham
          • ... William Vincent
            • ... '1337 Shadow Hacker' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)