Hi everyone,

I want to start a conversation about the Technical Board and its role in
Django, and how I'd like to change it, including its name.

Since its inception, the Technical Board has effectively only functioned as a
backstop vote for large features that require DEPs, of which there have been
only two in the last five years. I believe it can be much more useful than
this, while still not dominating Django's direction.

I would like to initially suggest the following high-level changes, that I will
start formalising into a process DEP if we reach broad agreement:

*Eligibility requirements are loosened and made less code-oriented*

Anyone who demonstrates a "decent" history of contributing to Django in any
fashion, and who does not have any conflicts of interest, and clearly wants to
work in the best interests of the framework, would be eligible. (Yes, this is
going to be fun to define in a DEP).

The current eligibility requirements include the need to have participated in
discussions about the direction or development of Django in the last two years,
which given the relative lack of big discussions in the last two years makes it
rather problematic.

*A more active role is taken in suggesting features*

A regular "call for big ideas" is taken by the Board, and a clear set of "these
are the technical/design/process/etc. ideas that we'd like to do" is published.
This list would be, among other things, useful to raise money for grants to
work directly on those features.

DEP 10 already mostly provides for this - it says that the Board should "put
out calls for proposals and ideas for the future technical direction of
Django", so this would more be us just Doing The Thing rather than changing too
many rules.

*The name is changed to "Steering Council"* (like Python)

I believe this is a more accurate reflection of what the group *should* be
doing and a reflection that you should not need to be directly coding Django
every day to participate - and names have meaning, and thus power.

*The overall election process, other powers, and current members remain the
same*

I think this part works relatively well. I did consider if we should allow
simultaneous Technical Board/Steering Council membership *and* DSF Board
membership, as this is currently banned, but I think the reasons behind this
still hold for now.

This of course would be a "major change" and trigger a lot of procedure,
notably a supermajority vote of the current Board, and a DSF Board vote, but I
do believe it is in the best interests of the framework.

I am very interested in any feedback on these suggested ideas, including any
additional changes you think might be appropriate that I have not covered here.

Andrew