These are some great points, James - let me try to tackle them roughly in order.

Proposing features - this is already in DEP 10, so I more just want to get that
aspect of the Board actually going (and, as a side-effect, have something to
aid fundraising). I am talking with the current Board separately on an internal
thread, where the current stance (not everyone has responded) is that I am
personally happy to take on all the work here for now - but I want to make sure
it's not just me in the long run, be that merely proving that the idea works or
attracting board members who want to specifically mediate such discussions and
interaction with the wider community.

Engagement - It's not about "lack of engagement", and I think any issues there
are deeper problems with OSS communities and the fact that we have to learn to
sustainably work with the people we have rather than throwing everything at
trying to recruit fresh, new people. I have ideas around this topic
specifically, but they will not be solved in terms of the Board alone.

Loosening eligibility - If you're up for it I would very much value your help
here in terms of refining wording once I have a first draft. My initial
direction was to still require the 18 month history of contributions, but widen
it from "technical" to more kinds of work (obviously the discussion part is in
there too, but I think in general we can do a bit more of an OR rather than an
AND on the current requirements, keeping a minimum time of contribution to
prevent bad actors)

Serving on the DSF Board - you are of course right, I misread the DEP last week.

Overall, if all we do is change the name and start actually doing calls for
features as outlined in DEP 10, I'll honestly be happy - but I think, given the
most recent TB election was uncontested and several long-time Django
contributors have told me they'd be more willing to join a TB that was less
strictly technical-all-the-time, that it makes sense for us to also look at
those requirements.

Andrew