> On 11 Dec 2020, at 17:07, Dave Crocker <dcroc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 12/11/2020 8:32 AM, Kurt Andersen (b) wrote:
>> Perhaps:
>>      none: not certain at all
>>      quarantine: I believe I've got control of all my sending, but am
>> not 100% positive
>>      reject: I have control of all my sending; if it doesn't pass DMARC,
>> it's use of the domain is bogus.
>>
>> But the problem case in our off-topic rabbit trail meanderings is that
>> people who "have control of all their sending" still don't necessarily send
>> mail of consistent seriousness nor do they have any control of the paths by
>> which that mail takes to get to the ultimate recipient. There is a
>> conflation of "control of emission" with "control of path".
>
> A specification providing a choice of labels/settings needs to have a shared
> understanding of what those labels mean.
>
> It seems pretty clear that DMARC's p= hasn't had that, to date.  There is no
> consistency to the criteria used to set the label and, I suspect, little
> consistency to how a receiver's filtering engine uses it.
>
> We need to settle on text that resonates with a consistent interpretation, by
> both domain owners and email receivers.
>
> I've offered an approach that might permit reaching that community -- not
> just IETF -- rough consensus.
>
> At this point we need to get suggested revisions for improvement. For now, I
> don't have better text to suggest.

There’s probably better phrasing than ‘DMARC compliant’ here, but here’s my
stab at describing the processes. note, this is very close to the language I
use with clients.

p=none: mail sent by authorized users of this domain may or may not be aligned
in a DMARC compliant way.

p=quarantine: mail sent by authorized users of this domain should be aligned in
a DMARC compliant way. Mail that is unaligned may or may not be legitimate
messages from this organization.

p=reject: all mail sent from this domain should be aligned in a DMARC compliant
way. Mail that is unaligned is not authorized by the domain owner and may be
discarded or rejected by the recipient.

laura

--
Having an Email Crisis?  We can help! 800 823-9674

Laura Atkins
Word to the Wise
la...@wordtothewise.com
(650) 437-0741