On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 03:30:44AM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > Then used aptitude to install golang....  Althout it had complained about
> > only a fe packages, it ended up installing a very large number of
> > packages -- hundreds.  I consider this suspicious.
> >
> > THen I had it install golang and its dependencies.  It seemed to e doing
> > that, but then the system crashed -- went to a state with a blank screen
> > and a blinking cursor in the top left corner, completely unrsponsive to
> > keyboard and mouse.

This would be a time to use Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill your
X server.  Likely your display manager (xdm and friends)
will restart the X server.  If you get a console (as you did
later) or you can try starting your window manager from the
command line with `startx`.

If that fails, from the terminal, remove golang and install
Xorg, and maybe your preferred window manager or DE.

However, Debian changed the default of X not to respond
to Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. You may have to customize your
X keyboard setup (typically placing it in file ~/.xinitrc) stuff such as:

        # allow Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace to kill X server
        # Use CapsLock as Ctrl
        setxkbmap -option ctrl:nocaps,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp

        # Don't beep
        xset b off

        # Disable PrintScreen (by mapping it to BackSpace)
        xmodmap -e 'keysym Print = BackSpace'

> So why would using aptitude to install golang sabotage X?

I think it could come in part from mixed up or conflicting
dependencies of the packages themselves. If aptitude offers
you a solution to a conflict, it should list in full what
it is one Enter keyclick away from clobbering.

Sabotage suggests a malevolent intent, which is not at all
a good first guess, if you want to keep your feet on the
ground and solve  your problems.

I've never, ever used aptitude myself, having found
apt-get and friends
    dpkg
    dpkg-reconfigure
    apt-cache search
    apt-cache showpkg
    apt-cache show

    to be sufficient.

> It did go to dead X while installing golang, before I rebooted.  Might
> it have rebooted while I wasn't looking?  Why would aptitude do that?
>
> Or did it sabotage the desktop or window manager?  The so-called GOSFUI?
> (is that what Steve Litt called it?)
>
> It seems I have a working, but incomplete system.

To have a working console is such a amazing place to be,
and just a few steps away from bringing back, by waving the
magic wand of apt-get (or even aptitude) to reinstall Xorg
and friends who were removed.

But then you would probably lose golang, so that still sucks.

You can inspect the dependencies of individual packages with apt-cache show
and apt-cache showpkg. Or record the conflicts listed by
package manager for golang without installing, and file
a bug report with the package maintainer.

Have fun (and hopefully a somewhat working package dependency system)

Joel

> -- hendrik
>

> > Any ideas?  Tomorrow I'll start fro scratch again unless someon has a
> > better idea.  I could put the microsd card in an adaptor in my laptop's
> > USB slot and see if I can see anything in the file system.
> >
> > I could, of course, sk it to install a stretch version of Rapbian
> > straightway and ignore the switch to Devuan.
> >
> > -- hendrik
> >

> > > Fine. And don't forget to change
> > >
> > > deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie  rpi
> > >
> > > into