On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 11:17:13PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 03:30:44AM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > > Then used aptitude to install golang....  Althout it had complained about
> > > only a fe packages, it ended up installing a very large number of
> > > packages -- hundreds.  I consider this suspicious.
> > >
> > > THen I had it install golang and its dependencies.  It seemed to e doing
> > > that, but then the system crashed -- went to a state with a blank screen
> > > and a blinking cursor in the top left corner, completely unrsponsive to
> > > keyboard and mouse.
>
> This would be a time to use Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill your
> X server.  Likely your display manager (xdm and friends)
> will restart the X server.  If you get a console (as you did
> later) or you can try starting your window manager from the
> command line with `startx`.

I wonder if I still even *have* a display manager.  But that's probably
a secondary concern.  Best put off until startx works.

> If that fails, from the terminal, remove golang and install
> Xorg, and maybe your preferred window manager or DE.
>
> However, Debian changed the default of X not to respond
> to Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. You may have to customize your
> X keyboard setup (typically placing it in file ~/.xinitrc) stuff such as:
>
>       # allow Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace to kill X server
>       # Use CapsLock as Ctrl
>       setxkbmap -option ctrl:nocaps,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
>
>       # Don't beep
>       xset b off
>
>       # Disable PrintScreen (by mapping it to BackSpace)
>       xmodmap -e 'keysym Print = BackSpace'
>

> > So why would using aptitude to install golang sabotage X?
>
> I think it could come in part from mixed up or conflicting
> dependencies of the packages themselves. If aptitude offers
> you a solution to a conflict, it should list in full what
> it is one Enter keyclick away from clobbering.

Looking at the aptitude log, installing golang did nothing at all to the
packages relating to X.  So the damage, whatever it was, will have to
have happened earlier, with some kind of delayed effect.  Perhaps xorg
had previously been changed on disk while it was running, and finally,
when it needed to read some library or other, a version skew hit hard?

> Sabotage suggests a malevolent intent, which is not at all
> a good first guess, if you want to keep your feet on the
> ground and solve  your problems.

Sabotage is an overstatement.

> I've never, ever used aptitude myself, having found
> apt-get and friends
>     dpkg
>     dpkg-reconfigure
>     apt-cache search
>     apt-cache showpkg
>     apt-cache show
>
>     to be sufficient.
>
> > It did go to dead X while installing golang, before I rebooted.  Might
> > it have rebooted while I wasn't looking?  Why would aptitude do that?
> >
> > Or did it sabotage the desktop or window manager?  The so-called GOSFUI?
> > (is that what Steve Litt called it?)
> >
> > It seems I have a working, but incomplete system.
>
> To have a working console is such a amazing place to be,
> and just a few steps away from bringing back, by waving the
> magic wand of apt-get (or even aptitude) to reinstall Xorg
> and friends who were removed.

I'll tried startx:
the X server did not start up.  The (EE) entries in the log
(1) complained that systemd-logind failed to get a session.
    Of course.  There's no systemd.  I'm not planning to change that.
(2) complained that it could not load module "fbdev" because the module
    does not exist
(3) complained that it could not open /dev/dri/card0: no such file or
    directory.

Is just reinstalling xorg going to fix this, or will I have to identify
just which device drivers, xorg modules, and mesa components are
appropriate for the Raspberry pi's graphics chip, whatever that is.

There must be a way to figure this out.

I am looking for support for at least opengl 3.3, because that's what
Raspbian can handle, and that's also what I need.

> But then you would probably lose golang, so that still sucks.

Not likely to happen.  Golang installed, as far as I can tell, without
affecting *any* packages not obviously belonging to golang.  Except for
installing python3-serial and updating man-db.

> You can inspect the dependencies of individual packages with apt-cache show
> and apt-cache showpkg. Or record the conflicts listed by
> package manager for golang without installing, and file
> a bug report with the package maintainer.
>
> Have fun (and hopefully a somewhat working package dependency system)

What impresses me about the Raspberry pi is that it isn't a
stripped-down system to be used in schools.  It's a real, complex
system, with all the bells and whistles and warts a full-grown
professional system would have.  Lovely.