Le 05/04/2018 à 04:20, Hendrik Boom a écrit :
On Thu, Apr 05, 2018 at 03:40:55AM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
On Wed, Apr 04, 2018 at 08:06:10PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
I hope fixing this doesn't disable the CDROM and that ascii or jessie
will still install from a CDROM when you *have* a CDROM.
Ascii and Jessie are Stretch and Jessie respectively, both of which have CD
as the _primary_ install method (USB storage being just dumb wasteful
emulation that doesn't allow any goodies a writeable medium would allow).
There are no plans to change this for Buster, either.

On the other hand, I for one haven't owned a machine equipped with a CD
drive in like a decade (and DVD or BD: never), although I do have a few
drives in the junk pile, briefly attached one last year to help a relative
to sort through old stuff.  CD/DVD/BD drives are hardware that's already
rare and will become unheard of very shortly.

My machine's USB has died.
Then how do you attach peripherals?  New boxes don't tend to come with a
PS2 port anymore.
It's an old machine with a PS2 port.  I've been planning to replace it
with a modern system, but I can't bring myself to buy a machine with
malware known to be built into the hardware.

That leaves very slim pickings.

    I guess you can buy some PCI-USB interface and plug it in.

            Didier