Le 09/04/2018 à 08:30, Steve Litt a écrit :
On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 08:35:20 +0200
Didier Kryn <k...@in2p3.fr> wrote:

Le 06/04/2018 à 03:33, Steve Litt a écrit :
      SD cards (not even speaking of micro-SD) have a higher density
and can be put in readonly mode. They are certainly more expensive,
but re-usable.
Reusable isn't always a plus. If I had a nickel for every reusable
backup I saw prematurely reused. Floppies, tapes, zip drives, external
hard drives, thumb drives, they're all way too likely to "oops, I just
backed up over my latest backup, and the backup didn't take.

    Let me remind you that the subject was not archiving, but installing an OS from a removable medium.

      CDs and DVDs have several different standards and most drives
cannot read all of them.
Show me any consumer optical drive that can't read iso9660, no Joliet,
No Rock Ridge, no El Torito, just iso9660 with 8.3 filenames (easy to
do if the files are really inside .tgz's. One can argue about the
convenience of .tgz's on a backup medium, but it works very well at
making your old stuff available at restoration.

    Recently I burned a DVD with Devuan-ASCII installer on an HP desktop and was unable t read it on a Dell Poweredge server. I had also burned a 700GB CDROM on the same machine with the netinst and couldn't read it either on the Poweredge. I ended up buying an SD-USB adapter and reusing an SD card I had in my bag to make the install.

I've also experienced that CDs written on a
drive couldn't be read from another one and vice-versa.
Drives wear out, and often the first thing to go is their
interoperability with others. If you're using a drive to record
important stuff, don't let it get more than 3 years old. They're cheap.

CDs and DVDs
are OK for archiving data for a few years; I don't trust them for
longer.
Except for paper,  what COULD you trust for more than a few years?
Thumbdrives?

    Below is a temptative list of archiving supports sorted by decreasing durability and, decreasing density:
    1: marble or other hard stone
    2: paper
    3: microfilm
    4: SAS hard disks
    5: other types of hard disks
    6: optical disks

    I don't know yet where to put the SSD "disks" and the SD cards.

    It is clear that these media are also sorted by inreasing density - the more dense the medium, the less durable. At first sight, it's a pitty that we haven't a medium offering both high durability and high density. But, considering the infinite amount of junk the bureaucracy is able to produce - only limited by the storage capacity - I find fortunate that it autodestroys.

    Didier