On Thu, Apr 05, 2018 at 11:09:47AM +0100, ael wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2018 at 03:40:55AM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > On the other hand, I for one haven't owned a machine equipped with a CD
> > drive in like a decade (and DVD or BD: never), although I do have a few
> > drives in the junk pile, briefly attached one last year to help a relative
> > to sort through old stuff.  CD/DVD/BD drives are hardware that's already
> > rare and will become unheard of very shortly.
> >
> > > My machine's USB has died.
> >
> > Unless your machine is a laptop, in which case you already have a keyboard
> > and a bad pointing device, but have no way to attach a CD drive even if you
> > wanted.
>
> Sorry, but some current and next generation laptops still have CD/DVD/BD
> drives. You do seem to have a very narrow view of the diversity of
> hardware currently being manufactured and sold. I am typing this on a
> Clevo laptop purchased (without operating system, so linux friendly)
> within the last couple of years. This and the current revision has
> the usual CD/DVD drive.

You can get new 68080 chips, too.

I'm not advocating for dropping support for CD -- heck, old x86 gear most of
which did have a CD drive are more popular than all other architectures
together (keyboardless ARM excluded, obviously -- it rarely can run De??an
well).  Guess who's preaching "legacy-less boot"?  As for existing popular
hardware, the code already exists and works, keeping it afloat is a matter
of running a test from time to time.  As long as someone steps up to do the
maintenace, dropping support would be bad.

What I'm arguing here, though, is that new development shouldn't _optimize_
for musty old hardware.  For example, if I had the non-trivial amount of
tuits it would take to reimplement the installer, it'd have a minimal set of
debs for the base system (unless you download an off-line big image), use a
writeable filesystem instead of iso9660, save your install choices (for
easy-to-use convenient preseeding) and cache all debs you download while
installing, thus using the very minimal bandwidth whether you install a
single machine or hundred, small servers or newest BloatDE.  What this has
to CDs?  Note that if you burn such an install image to a CD, such a
filesystem (I'd pick f2fs but ext4 would work too) will still work fine if
the media is non-writeable.  It'd be a notch less effective than iso9660
which was designed for CDs, but other than missing on new goodies
(auto-preseeding and apt cache), you'll still be fine, just like with
current installer.

Another such possible improvement would be using all cores the system has
(last year, I shopped for the very cheapest SoC that has local storage,
ethernet and USB, and the smallest I could get locally had 4 cores, 512MB
ram) -- note that any userspace code that can run in parallel will still
work perfectly on uniprocessor.  So it'd be optimizing for modern but 100%
supporting legacy.

Etc, etc.

Meow!
--