Hi,

KatolaZ writes:

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 12:45:53PM +0200, info at smallinnovations dot nl
> wrote:
>> On 26-07-18 12:15, KatolaZ wrote:
>> >
>> > The libsystemd API does not provide any way to check *which* init
>> > system is running (ehm...for "obvious" reasons, right?). But we could
>> > put in place a mechanism that allows to shell out the calls to
>> > libsystemd functions to a set of scripts with pre-defined names. Then,
>> > the system administrator or the packagers can put whatever they want
>> > in those scripts, or even remove them altogether.
>> >
>> > This would in principle allow people to "catch" systemd-related events
>> > and "translate" them to events for any other init system, using a
>> > simple mechanism. Or just plainly ignore them, if they like...
>> >
>> Of course does the libsystemd API not provide it, but we can. First call
>> to libsystemd API == systemd installed? If no, call to libnosystemd API
>> which init system == installed? Or something like that. But put in place
>> a mechanism that allows to shell out the calls to libsystemd functions
>> to a set of scripts with pre-defined names would make libnosystemd far
>> more useful imo. Especially for developers.
>>
> But that would entail forking and patching all the packages which use
> libsystemd to force them to check if systemd is available... which is
> exactly what we are trying to avoid by nooping libsystemd0... :P

Exactly.  Any package that Provides: libsystemd0 is *not* at liberty to
change that library's documented API.  No matter how much you may
dislike that API and whatever it stands for, you either provides an API
compliant replacement OR you end up forking every package that depends
on libsystemd0.

Hope this helps,