On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 5:17 PM Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@icann.org> wrote:

> On May 25, 2021, at 5:09 PM, Eric Rescorla <e...@rtfm.com> wrote:
> > The fundamental question here is whether we want to build a mechanism
> for authenticated ADoX or not
>
> It might be better to think of this as "whether we want to build a
> mechanism for fully-authenticated ADoX now, but if not now, allow for it to
> be done easily in the future". Others on the list have already said that
> they are interested in unauthenticated as a stepping stone to later going
> to full authentication.
>
> The purpose of the proposed -common-features draft is to make such
> fully-authenticated mechanism(s) easily definable regardless of when the WG
> wants to do so.

I understand your motivation, but I think in this case it is misguided. The
controversial parts of fully authenticated are precisely the signaling
mechanisms in draft-rescorla-dprive-adox that you are attempting to pull
out here. If those are acceptable, then authenticated is comparatively easy.

-Ekr