Hi,

Since Skype stopped working for me in Linux I've tried several alternatives;
so far with limited success.  As you may recall, I used this to contact my
mother who can only 'hear' what I am saying if she can also read my lips.  I
therefore need a good video calling capability, which Skype always gave me
until Microsoft released the newest version (which hogged bandwidth and then
stuttered to a halt) and stopped allowing the earlier (working) client to
connect to the network.

Anyway, more to the point; I have now found a new client called Tox
(http://tox.im).  It looks promising, but when I tested it yesterday, the
other end couldn't hear what I was saying, even though the Mic in my Logitech
S7500 USB Webcam works in Skype.

I've now spent some time trying to fix this using the KDE Mixer built in to the
Kubuntu desktop, alsamixer to control levels, QARecord to monitor levels and
record audio, and Alsaplayer to listen to the results.  I also plugged in a
spare boom Mic that I have lying around.

What I have found is that the boom Mic works, (but the quality is poor) but I
can't get a peep out of the USB Mic, except in Skype.  Clearly the kernel
module needed is being loaded otherwise Skype wouldn't be able to use the Mic,
but something else is missing.

I've run out of ideas, so anyone else come across this?  All attempts to
Google the problem end up with how to get a USB Mic *working* with Skype or
how to ensure that the right kernel modules are loaded.

I'm assuming that Skype for Linux has built in support for USB Mics.