On Sunday 23 Nov 2014 15:00:47 John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:
> Your system probably uses pulseaudio, so you might be better with the
> pavucontrol program since that's the mixer that comes with Pulseaudio.

That took me a bit further forward; in the 'Input Devices' tab of the
pavucontrol program, I can see the USB Mic levels changing as I speak, so I
know that a bit more works than I did before.

I still can't get the audio to another piece of software on the computer,
other than Skype.

Can anyone think what other utility or kernel module might be needed to route
the incoming stream from the USB Mic to compatible communication programs on
the machine?