On Sunday 23 Nov 2014 20:29:11 John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:
> If an application is using pulseaudio and is using an input device like a
> microphone, it will appear in the "Recording" tab of pavucontrol. In there,
> you should be able to change which input device it uses. Try making a Skype
> Test Call while watching that tab in pavucontrol and you'll see what I mean.

I had been there and seen that, but it still doesn't record with QARecord (but
it does with arecord (see my response to Peter).

> I'm not familiar with Tox, but a quick search to find out if it used
> pulseaudio lead me to https://github.com/Tox/toxic/issues/148 which
> suggests that Tox uses OpenAL and has its own methods to select inputs.

I've set the inputs in QTox and it doesn't work.

>From the above, it looks like it may be to do with QT Libraries, so I'm going
to try again with Venom, which is a Tox client that doesn't use QT.  There is
also utox and Toxic, one of which is ncurses based, so I'll give them a try.

Watch this space :-)