On Monday 24 Nov 2014 16:52:05 Terry Coles wrote:
> I had been there and seen that, but it still doesn't record with QARecord
> (but it does with arecord (see my response to Peter).
>
> > I'm not familiar with Tox, but a quick search to find out if it used
> > pulseaudio lead me to https://github.com/Tox/toxic/issues/148 which
> > suggests that Tox uses OpenAL and has its own methods to select inputs.
>
> I've set the inputs in QTox and it doesn't work.
>
> From the above, it looks like it may be to do with QT Libraries, so I'm
> going to try again with Venom, which is a Tox client that doesn't use QT.
> There is also utox and Toxic, one of which is ncurses based, so I'll give
> them a try.
>
> Watch this space :-)

Well I've now tried all of the available Linux Clients with very mixed
results:
QTox:
As reported.  The UI is reasonable and the video seems to work OK, but the
issues with the USB Mic when using QT mean I can't really test it fully yet.

uTox:
Works in a similar way to QTox, with sound.  However, I get lots of feedback
and the sound is very echoing and as a result is unintelligible.

Venom:
Looks promising, but neither my daughter or myself could work out how the ****
to pick up an incoming call ;-(  As a result we have no idea how well the
audio and video work.

Toxic:
This is the ncurses based client, so should be pretty lean and mean.  However,
the learning curve is pretty steep and so I haven't worked out how to use it
yet.

I will be keeping an eye on these tools, but I think the developers have a way
to go before Toc is ready for prime time.  To be fair, the commits on Github
for Toxcore don't start until June last year, so I would image some of the GUI
components are really quite immature.

I still think that it is really promising.