Morning all

I want to run a particular game on my PC running SolydXK EE (Debian testing), but the games most recent  version is only available for Debian Jessie and will not install due to varies dependency issue (which is strange because it is looking for a lower version of a file than I have currently installed).  Anyway I have downloaded the source package (a tar.gz file) and want to know how to produce a program I a can run but here is the questions, should I compile it so that I can just install it and run it, or do I need to compile it as a deb file? I know I can google and find this information about but I am after the experienced users thoughts about the best options to take and possible success, I have never tried compiling in my life.

Apart from build essentials what else to I need to make sure I have installed on my PC so I can compile the source?

The game its self is not a demand (as in process or graphics), the source can be downloaded from here: https://www.openttd.org/en/download-stable.

Tim