On 15/04/18 13:37, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
Hi Tim,

 From the same page I linked to earlier but the Debian package for
either Wheezie or Jessie 64bit

https://www.openttd.org/en/download-stable
That says

     Latest release in stable is 1.8.0, released on 2018-04-01 13:07 UTC.

with packages for Debian Jessie and Wheezy.
https://www.debian.org/releases/ says

     Debian 8  Jessie   oldstable
     Debian 9  Stretch  stable     released 2017-06-17

So it's puzzling why OpenTTD built against Debian 8 six months after
Debian 9 became the normal stable one.  Perhaps its source isn't
compatible with 9, but you'll find that out!

Have you tried... Are, here we are:
https://www.reddit.com/r/openttd/comments/7eumoh/installing_openttd_on_debian_stretch/
One comment in particular refers to
https://wiki.openttd.org/Compiling_on_(GNU/)Linux_and_*BSD#Manually
that still talks of libpng12-dev, but you know now to use 16 instead.
You may have to research other missing packages in that list in a
similar way.

Cheers, Ralph.

Thanks for the info Ralph, I have been ambling through some of the earlier bits you and Hamish sent me. But do I like the comments from reddit.com

I have been informed that I am going out shortly so this has now become a later this afternoon\evening project :(

Tim