Hi Tim,

> but the games most recentĀ  version is only available for Debian Jessie
> and will not install due to varies dependency issue (which is strange
> because it is looking for a lower version of a file than I have
> currently installed).

What's the command and error?  Perhaps there's another package still
providing the old one it needs.

> should I compile it so that I can just install it and run it, or do I
> need to compile it as a deb file?

The former is simpler so I'd start with that.

> Apart from build essentials what else to I need to make sure I have
> installed on my PC so I can compile the source?

Inside the tar file is readme.txt and section 7 details some of the
things you'll want to have installed, e.g. libpng.  And because you want
to build a program that uses them, rather than just running that
program, you often need a `development' version of the package, e.g.
libpng-dev, given how Debian partition things into packages.

Cheers, Ralph.