This is pretty standard stuff in the FMT community. In my IC 751, which have used in the FMT's, I simply placed a small styrofoam "box" around the ref crystal. It is the temperature induced short term drift that is the problem, not the absolute accuracy. I can measure where it really is but it needs to stay there. Any way you can isolate the crystal from temp changes will help to stabilize it. Some use a plain resistor as a heater inside the insulation..a la crystal oven. Some just use the insulation and let the ambient temp do the heating. THe trick is to get the oven temp above the ambient inside rig temp. Of course, you can use a $1000 dollar closed loop temperature control also, like the HP reference ovens. ;)

I'm sure some insulation would help the TR-7.

Curt
KU8L


Jim Shorney wrote:
Some days I am more easily amused than other days.

http://www.k0to.us/HAM/FT1000MP/Temperature%20Stabilized%20FT1000MP%20REF%20oscillator_files/Temperature%20Stabilized%20FT1000MP%20REF%20oscillator.htm

What led me to the above link was a discussion of drift in the IC-706 radios on another 
list. It also reminded me of the ongoing discussions on this list of huff-puff 
stabilizers for our "drifty" TR-7s. What's new is old, what's old is new.

All kidding aside, this idea might be a good approach to tame those pesky 40 
MHz reference oscillators in slaved 7-Twins. I'll have to put it on my round 
tuit list.

73

-Jim



--
Ham Radio NU0C
Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.S.A.
TR7/RV7/R7A/L7, TR6/RV6, T4XC/R4C/L4B, NCL2000, SB104A, R390A, GT550A/RV550A, 
HyGain 3750, IBM PS/2 - all vintage, all the time!

"Give a man a URL, and he will learn for an hour; teach him to Google, and he will 
learn for a lifetime."

HyGain 3750 User's Group - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HyGain_3750/
http://incolor.inetnebr.com/jshorney
http://www.nebraskaghosts.org



_______________________________________________
Drakelist mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.zerobeat.net/mailman/listinfo/drakelist



_______________________________________________
Drakelist mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.zerobeat.net/mailman/listinfo/drakelist

Reply via email to