I have used Drake equipment since I received the first, one of the first R4B
units in 1965.  I noted that there was some drifting and since I was going
from an SX 100 to the R4B, I noted that it was a fact of the units used.
For that matter, it was easily adaptable.  In those days, I would call a
Sunday net.  Since everyone was using the same "drifty" radios, it was not
an issue to either use the rit (if you had one), or for those of us using
split, to simply follow the signal.

Nowadays, folks seem to believe that a drifting signal IS A BAD SIGNAL.  I
DiFFER.  I still use the Drakes and now the quest is for DX which to be
honest is far less sensitive to the net use (which I still call).  As folks
get the newer more precisely controlled radios, they complain that your
signal is drifting from them.  Since, at last viewing, it takes 2 to tango,
I would say that that is a bit over the top; if I move and you are still
interested, move with me.  That is the theory of the tango.  Even the Orion
moves a bit on start up.

So, while I enjoy the posts, having a drifting signal for most of us is of
little consequence.  In a contest, the qso is 15 seconds long, little
drifting happens then and after you are done either someone comes
immediately after, or you move on.  

So, keep up the posts, but I will try to remember that it is in an imperfect
world the radios live in.  Use them up, and then move the dial; it is part
of the fun, drifting and all. 

David Assaf, III
W5XU


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
On Behalf Of Ron
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2011 4:24 AM
To: [email protected]; Jim Shorney
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and drift-free
modern radios

I have to believe that this one is at least to some extent referring to me
as I am a huge fan of the x-lock.  Anyone who thinks that their rig is a NBS
device is dreaming.  OTOH the reality is that the x-lock tends to make the
drift w/i the TR7 manageable.  

Anyone who understands the technology knows that all x-lock is doing is
"bouncing" the freq around a small freq "slot" and clocking that against a
more stable reference.  The rig is more stable than letting the PTO "free
run".  That is only slowing the entire process to a point so that we humans
do not notice it as much.

No harm, no fowl.  Just comments.

73
Ron WD8SBB

--- On Thu, 8/25/11, Jim Shorney <[email protected]> wrote:

> From: Jim Shorney <[email protected]>
> Subject: [Drakelist] Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and drift-free 
> modern radios
> To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> Date: Thursday, August 25, 2011, 8:56 PM
> 
> Some days I am more easily amused than other days.
> 
> http://www.k0to.us/HAM/FT1000MP/Temperature%20Stabilized%20FT1000MP%20
> REF%20oscillator_files/Temperature%20Stabilized%20FT1000MP%20REF%20osc
> illator.htm
> 
> What led me to the above link was a discussion of drift in the IC-706 
> radios on another list. It also reminded me of the ongoing discussions 
> on this list of huff-puff stabilizers for our "drifty" TR-7s. What's 
> new is old, what's old is new.
> 
> All kidding aside, this idea might be a good approach to tame those 
> pesky 40 MHz reference oscillators in slaved 7-Twins. I'll have to put 
> it on my round tuit list.
> 
> 73
> 
> -Jim
> 
> 
> 
> --
> Ham Radio NU0C
> Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.S.A.
> TR7/RV7/R7A/L7, TR6/RV6, T4XC/R4C/L4B, NCL2000, SB104A, R390A, 
> GT550A/RV550A, HyGain 3750, IBM PS/2 - all vintage, all the time!
> 
> "Give a man a URL, and he will learn for an hour; teach him to Google, 
> and he will learn for a lifetime."
> 
> HyGain 3750 User's Group - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HyGain_3750/
> http://incolor.inetnebr.com/jshorney
> http://www.nebraskaghosts.org
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Drakelist mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://mailman.zerobeat.net/mailman/listinfo/drakelist
> 

_______________________________________________
Drakelist mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.zerobeat.net/mailman/listinfo/drakelist
-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 10.0.1392 / Virus Database: 1520/3862 - Release Date: 08/27/11


_______________________________________________
Drakelist mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.zerobeat.net/mailman/listinfo/drakelist

Reply via email to