Curt
Thanks for letting me know that the fork to 'slug rod' joint is
soldered.  On the one I have here it was a poor solder connection.  As
it should be grounded I will take the fork all the way out and use the
method Garey suggested for getting it back together.

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Curt Nixon <cptc...@flash.net> wrote:
> I think he was asking about the fork to slug rod connection.  It is
> definitely soldered on the ones I have here.  Glue or JB weld epoxy is not a
> good choice since the slug rod is grounded through the fork to the guide
> rod.  A loose slug rod connection will definitely be a jumping issue.
> Re-soldering seems the only proper solution.
>
> The theads are just for the screw to fork..  The slug Rod to fork, in the
> middle, is soldered.  Should be no threads there. But it will require the
> slug rod be removed from the assembly which means a complete field strip of
> the entire assembly.  I would not try to solder it while in situ.
>
> Curt
>
> Garey Barrell wrote:
>>
>> The fork  _IS_  threaded!
>>
>> Perhaps I misunderstood your problem.   The fork is NOT fixed to the
>> tuning shaft.  The shaft rotates and the fork is driven back and forth by
>> the threads??????
>>
>> IF the fork is solidly affixed to the shaft, the shaft can't turn!!
>>
>> --
>> 73, Garey - K4OAH
>> St Charles, IL
>>
>> Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
>> and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
>> <www.k4oah.com>
>>

>> Paul Gerhardt wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.wb4hfn.com/DRAKE/DrakeArticles/TechTips/PTO-Repair.htm
>>>
>>> The above link answered most of my questions.
>>>
>>> The end of the rod is threaded with solder on it and the fork is not
>>> threaded so my last remaining question is; how was the tuning rod
>>> affixed to the 'fork'.  Would it be better to;
>>>         1. Use glue like JB Weld or Super Glue
>>>          2.  put more solder on the threads of the rod and press fit
>>> it back on with a hammer
>>>          3.  put more solder on the threads AND the fork soldering
>>> them together.
>>>
>>> Opt 1 would be the easest and safest method it seems...??

Paul Gerhardt
K3PG
http://pgerhardt.blogspot.com
QRP ARCI 6674
FP 274
"You must do this work with love or you fail." -- John Muir, from How
to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive