One of the design requirements/choices made by the JARL was to provide
simultaneous voice/data transport on the DStar DV air interface. This
contrained the final (4800 bps/6.25 kHz) air interface to a 2400 bps AMBE
perceptual coder with 2/3 convolutional FEC. This left about ~1kilo bit a
second of data on the air interface for usage as data (as any user saw fit!).

If the higher DV bit rate such as NEXEDGE/IDAS radios were chosen, then there
would be no DPRS, DRATS, etc, or whatever is developed downstream. DStar is not
about the voice, it's about the communications capability.

I would not want to leverage a higher bit rate for the DV and eliminate the
data transport and its utility. I would like to see a 2400 bps data only mode
with 1/2 convolutional FEC with dispersed codewords for fast fade immunity (or
something similar)on the narrow band GMSK radios.

Better voice is available at the touch of a button, ancient Fat Mode or FM.

Hit the button and move on because the perceptual coding for DStar users is not
very likely to change due to the existing constraints in the radios/edge
network.

I appreciate the gentleman's opinion on the voice quality, but the MOS metric
is a MEAN OPINION SCORE and is derived form a sample of users, not a single
user.

It is what it is, a damned fun and challenging mode that is very enjoyable in
what I deem is the world's greatest hobby, Amateur Radio.

Lots of degrees of freedom here to find something that suits you.

Respectfully,

Craig KV5E

 If