On Sep 2, 2010, at 6:36 AM, Dr. Joeseph Mesh wrote:

Some respond to the challenge of acquiring the “knowledge required” to accomplish a remarkable feat of great distance and low power on HF...

Others like it handed to them effortlessly with fidelity....

Which side one agrees with is a personal issue.

Some say “real men” use their heads and learn to achieve on their own without the net - then they take great pride in the resulting accomplishment. The endorphins released are addicting to those.

Others enjoy jumping on the “new tech” - sit back and relax - approach....

For me the excitement in D-Star resides in the improvement in DX mobile communications.

In even the very best situation D-Star will NEVER reflect the magnitude of personal accomplishment seen on HF SSB in “real radio” relying on RF and knowledge...

I got a QSL card today from Europe via D-Star... OK... But of what value is the signal report and distance?

Just different ....    Little more.

Don't forget, the "infrastructure" of D-STAR is useful, but there is such a thing as simplex D-STAR with all the challenges and rewards as any other RF based communications. On VHF/UHF we can see who is able to get EME D-STAR, on HF we can see who sets new mode DX (IC-9100 does 10 meters, but in some parts of the world there are fewer mode restrictions and even the US rules seem to allow for "Phone" in bandwidth and modulation index of D-STAR on other HF bands - and some hams have tried it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlIqpedYsYM )

John D. Hays
Amateur Radio Station K7VE
PO Box 1223
Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 VOIP/SIP: j...@hays.org