Peter Memishian writes:

>  > The problem is really in the distinction between section two of the
>  > man pages (the historical "system call" interface) and the real
>  > OpenSolaris system call interface that dtrace exposes as syscall.
>  >
>  > Dtrace syscall isn't the same thing as man page section two, as the
>  > former is an undocumented implementation detail and the latter is a
>  > standard interface.
>
> Precisely.  Seems like an RFE is warranted to allow the system call names
> in our manpages to be used.  This would eliminate both (a) the current
> surprise and confusion, and (b) the dependency on the system call
> implementation details (which are inherently unstable).  Another nice side
> effect would be that the stability level of the probe could match the
> stability level given in the section two manpage.

I mostly agree with that ... I just think that effort is what Adam was
referring to as putting lipstick on a pig.

My understanding of the rationale is that it's better to have access
to a raw, undoctored syscall interface when you really need it, than
to have a prettified interface that might not let you see all the
details when you want to.

In other words, a better answer might be to create an "abi" provider
that maps into the stable programming interface, and leave syscall
alone.