> The problem is really in the distinction between section two of the
 > man pages (the historical "system call" interface) and the real
 > OpenSolaris system call interface that dtrace exposes as syscall.
 >
 > Dtrace syscall isn't the same thing as man page section two, as the
 > former is an undocumented implementation detail and the latter is a
 > standard interface.

Precisely.  Seems like an RFE is warranted to allow the system call names
in our manpages to be used.  This would eliminate both (a) the current
surprise and confusion, and (b) the dependency on the system call
implementation details (which are inherently unstable).  Another nice side
effect would be that the stability level of the probe could match the
stability level given in the section two manpage.

--
meem