Nicolas Williams writes:
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 05:44:05PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > Nicolas Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > This pig isn't very attractive.  Is a system call number shortage the
> > > underlying problem?  And is the fix to this ultimately about fixing the
> > > syscall number shortage?
> >
> > grouping several "syscalls" under a single entry is nothting new.
>
> I am aware.  However, I think, e.g., unlinkat(2) should be just like
> unlink(2), from a DTrace syscall provider p.o.v.  Adam called this a
> "pig" for a reason; I agree with that characterization.

The problem is really in the distinction between section two of the
man pages (the historical "system call" interface) and the real
OpenSolaris system call interface that dtrace exposes as syscall.

Dtrace syscall isn't the same thing as man page section two, as the
former is an undocumented implementation detail and the latter is a
standard interface.

I agree that it'd be nice to throw a few bones at the poor user when
he does something "obvious" and still wrong, but I agree that it's
just a pig.