Listserv: 1. ...i decided to take a "quick and dirty" look @female Nobel
laureates in an attempt to assess how they did it and to document their
numbers compared to male honorees...(see link below)...
2. ...since 1895 (when the prize was inaugurated), 44 women have received a
Nobel, 17 of these (~39%) in math-based disciplines (medicine or
physiology: n= 10; chemistry: n= 4; physics: n= 2; economics: n= 1)...
3. ...807 men have won the Nobel (i did not readily find a breakdown x
area), 44, women...~5%...
4. ...i took a q&d look @wiki entries for several of the women...marie
curie won twice (the only woman to do so); several, including curie, won
with husbands; curie's daughter won a Nobel with her husband; many are
theoreticians or made technical/methodological contributions; some of the
recent female awardees have 1 or 2 children; one is struck that these women
are "tough sisters", some having had very challenging childhoods (see, for
instance, barbara mcclintock [a goldschmidt student!] and ada yonath [if i
recall correctly, the first israeli woman to win a Nobel])...etc., etc.
5. ...one would like to read biographies of all of these remarkable women
to get a better idea of how they did it, how they purchased control of
their time, and how they maintained their focus "...without being
distracted by other interesting things".
6. ...again, i'd like to recommend the biography of marie curie by
francoise giroud...
7. ...clara

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_Nobel_laureates