Dear Ecologgers,

This discussion about family and science has been very interesting to follow.
Whether single or married, childless or not, everyone is entitled to and should
stand for nothing less than a balanced life - whatever that means to them.  And
the definition of success is subjective to the individual.  As my wise advisor
often reminded me, what is right for one person is not right for another.  If
at the end of the day you are happy, you are successful whether you use your
education at home to improve the lives of yourself and your family or to make
grand contributions to the scientific community.  I have never in my 40 years
regretted sticking to what I believed was right for me even if it was against
the advise of others.  Only you know what is right for you and if you truly
want something you will figure out how to do it.  My point is, that it is up to
each one of us to make it OK to live our lives the way we want.

CR