With sincere respect to all of you in the fields of microbiology, genetics, and
other laboratory-based disciplines of the life sciences, I contend the
"Campbell Essential Biology" approach is exactly what is wrong with biology
education today.

Nearly all undergraduate and high school introductory biology courses are
written as if EVERY student is going on to med school, nursing, or a career in
a lab-based science. I agree it's important for an undergrad course to make
mention of cytology, DNA, photosynthesis, etc., but I question the real value
to students of any non-major textbook in which 12 chapters deal with cell-DNA
and ecology, ecosystems, and the biosphere are relegated to the last three
chapters.

My guess is that 95% or more of non-majors will never have any really practical
use for information about cell-DNA. It's complicated stuff that their
physicians and pharmacists need to know, but what would be of infinitely
greater value is for everyone to be familiar with basic principles of ecology,
plant-animal interactions, pollination biology, and the like. Knowing about
these things will enable students in general to understand how humans fit into
and affect the world around them, and such understanding will help them make
informed decisions about such things as overfishing, watersheds and wetlands,
use of household pesticides and fertilizers--to say nothing of current
controversial topics like global climate change, fracking, etc.

We all teach what we know, of course, and the vast majority of high school
biology teachers know what they learned in an undergrad biology courses taught
from the "pre-med" perspective. I know from 25-plus years in the classroom and
lab that for kids not going off to med-school the "pre-med" approach is often a
turn-off to science, while a course that emphasizes ecology, the environment,
field work, etc., is a turn-on. I also taught undergrad biology and know such
is the case with many college students.

Cheers,

BILL

On May 27, 2012, at 10:48 AM, Helena Puche wrote:

> David,
>
> I used "Campbell Essential Biology" by E.J. Simon, J.B.Reece and J.L. Dickey.
> It is a book for non-biology  majors that has 20 chapters, all of them with a
> focus on evolution and examples, and nice drawings and pictures. Twelve of
> the 20 chapters are geared toward cell-DNA, then three chapters on taxonomy
> and systematics. The last three include populations & ecology, communities &
> ecosystems, and the biosphere. Therefore, you will have to add extra material
> to recreate those last topics.
>
> I created  several evolution labs using beans or the web pages below,
> designed a ppt to introduce Darwin's liand thoughts, and added many lab
> activities to learn about mark-recapture techniques, estimating population
> growth rate & size, population growth models, climate change, and identifying
> biomes.
>
> Evolution links to check are:
> http://video.pbs.org/video/1300397304/
> http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/0_0_0/devitt_02
>
> I used those as base for the lab activities.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Helena
>

> Helena Puche, Ph. D.
>
> Adjunct Assistant Professor
>
> University of Illinois at Chicago
>

> Biological Sciences, 3464 SES, MC
> 066
>
> 845 West Taylor Street
>
> Chicago, IL 60607hpu...@uic.edu

P.S. Please "Like" our new Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/HiltonPond
for timely updates on nature topics.

=========

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director
office & cell (803) 684-5852
fax (803) 684-0255

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org