The author misses the fact that European Ph.D. programs are 3-4 years
long because the students do, by and large, work as technicians. There
are no classes. There is, in most cases, no opportunity or time to
pick your own question (even within a large project), which is really
the thing that distinguishes a Ph.D. from an M.S. in my mind. If some
countries have programs that work differently, I'm interested in
knowing about them, but from what I've read, American programs are
better (aside from pay).

Jane Shevtsov

--
Jane Shevtsov, Ph.D.

“Those who say it cannot be done should not interfere with those who
are doing it.” --attributed to Robert Heinlein, George Bernard Shaw
and others