Hello.

With today's additions of the KXB30 and the KXAT1, my KX1 is now complete and, as an italian saying goes, "full like an egg".

Bottom line is, it works. Long story, I had a few scary moments today, especially with the 30m option. My last misc notes&questions wrt the KX1 follow:

KXB30)

-I had a very close call with being too short on the insulated wires from D and 5. Manual instructs builder to trim leads right after soldering and I had to pull the pc board quite energetically to get the trimmers to line up with the holes properly enough to be useful. Methinks perhaps waiting until the other leads have been threaded before trimming those two wires would be a good idea 8-)

-on a related note, why should some of the wires be bare? This is potentially dangerous and adds some complication to building. Moreover, someone has clearly built at least one kit with unstripped hookup wire, see here: http://www.edcjp.jp/kit/elecraft/KX1-Photos/KXB30/

-should the bumpers actually touch the front cover or are they used just in case? I did my best to use little solder and trim leads short, but the bumpers do not really lie flat and I'm a little worried they might come off someday.

-not really KXB30-related, but it came up during reassembly: I had a nice short between Q6's collector and ground, which only existed when the front cover was reattached. This happened because screw "ate" part of the thermal pad and exposed the tiniest possible part of the hole border... not tiny enough, unfortunately ;-( Solved by rearranging the pad, only casualties were a couple of blown fuses.

KXAT1)

-I soldered the leads for C1-C3 and C10 on top instead of bottom. I prefer soldering on opposite side and there was, in my opinion, plenty of clearance between the leads and the relays.

-no mention of trimming leads on blue but I guess they should be clipped short back and sides 8-)

Ok, off to play with the little baby now 8-)

B73,
Andrea.

--
Homepage: http://andrea.borgia.bo.it     /    Amateur radio: IZ4FHT