On 5/11/2012 10:46 AM, Tom Azlin N4ZPT wrote:
> My experience in a hotel room is they do not work well at all. Seems
> like you are inside a cage with RFI emitters all around you. Even high
> up in the hotel.

Right. Trying to operate on the HF bands with an antenna inside of a
metal frame building displays a complete ignorance of the Laws of
Physics. Get the antenna outside and it's a different story. Sometimes
that's possible, sometimes it is not.  And it's also quite possible to
TX using indoor antennas in wood frame buildings.  The problem is going
to be RX noise -- you're going to be lucky to hear anything but the
loudest signals on the band.

On the other hand, you can have some fun on VHF and UHF with a talkie in
a window on a high floor -- you can work pretty well for roughly 150
degrees of azimuth that the window provides, but the building will
shield you from signals arriving from other directions.

73, Jim K9YC