Alan,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I believe you are describing an
encoder failure or an MCU failure at either the ENC A or ENC B inputs.
It is difficult to say which it may be - the encoder is the single most
expensive component in the K2 and the MCU (Control Board U6) is the
second most expensive.

Replacement/substitution is the best test to determine which of those
two components is failing.
If you can find another ham with a K2, you may be able to try using his
front panel board on your K2 - if it works, then it is the encoder - if
not, then the MCU is the most likely suspect.

If you have not upgraded that K2. you may want to do so at this time,
including the A to B mods (along with the other mods listed in the A to
B instructions, add the Keying Waveshape Mod along with a new set of IF
crystals and new firmware and your early K2 will perform just as well as
a brand new kit.

73,
Don W3FPR