On 6/15/2012 6:38 PM, Ronald Nutter wrote:

> In the meantime, I am starting to put together a ultra-portable kit that
> will allow me to operate from just about anywhere.
> Since I will be flying quite a bit at times, I am starting with a
> Pelican 1470 case to protect the KX3 and the other items needed for
> operation.

I suggest you join the NA SOTA Yahoo group.  It's open, these are folks
who hike [and at least one runs] up mountains, and there's a wealth of
knowledge about lightweight radio and antennas, and gear to carry it all
in.  See the cc address above.  You may not be outside on your travels,
but there is lots of good info there about field radio away from home.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

SOTA:  Summits On The Air  www.sota.org.uk