      From: Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com>
 To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
 Sent: Monday, July 20, 2015 12:14 PM
 Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Verticals on mountaintops

Hi Al,

As it happens, W6GJB and I are building a custom 80M vertical for FD use
on a mountaintop. As part of the design process, I've compared it to an
inverted Vee at the height where we could rig it without trees. The
model, of course, is for "flatland," and while HFTA can tell us how
being on that mountain affected the horizontally polarized inverted Vee,
we have no comparable modeling for a vertically polarized antenna. So I
asked Dean Straw, N6BV, retired ARRL Antenna Book editor and author of
HFTA how he thought being on the mountain might affect the vertical. His
answer was "I don't have a guess."

Our vertical will be built from that modular army-surplus mast that
comes in 4 ft sections that fit together with a 40 ft telescoping tube
mounted to the top, with a wire taped to it. We will feed it as a
vertical dipole, and there will be loading both at the bottom and top.
Not at all suitable for backpacking. :)

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to wrco...@yahoo.com