It's not going to radiate any lower than the horizon, and that kind of low angle is extremely useful for long distances. That can be appropriate even for QRP, although it might be more propagation dependent versus making some high angle short skip contacts. If I want to see how far I can work when backpacking, I'm going with a vertical unless the ground conductivity is just plain awful.

Dave   AB7E