Usefulness of any 10 meter antenna is declining. :-)

FWIW:
My Buddipole weighed 17 lbs, and I sold it and used the proceeds to get an AlexLoop. It weighs about 1.6 lbs, less if I take it out of the neat canvas case, 2 lbs with the lightweight tripod. I like it a lot. I can set it up in less than 5 min, it is pretty much immune to anyone's definition of "ground," and it works very well. Touchy to tune on 40, not so bad on 30 and easy on 20 and the rest. Very narrow BW, I sit under it so I can reach up and tune it using the K2 SWR indication. It's pricey, but you can make one yourself for about 1/10th the cost. Just remember, these guys are resonant transformers and MUST be at resonance so bypass the ATU.

The EFHW is very popular with the SOTA crowd, extremely light, only needs one support. Mine works best with a 6" pigtail hanging off the shield of the BNC connector. They too seem to be fairly immune to "ground," low current down where you are.

My meager experience is that any antenna you can make resonant will probably perform a little better than a random wire, but I've made a lot of KX1 Q's with a 26 ft wire and counterpoise made from a piece of RG-58.

KT5X believes [and I don't disagree] that vertical ground planes on mountain tops tend to radiate downhill which isn't real useful. If you're above the timberline, you're probably on a mountain.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 50th Running of the Cal QSO Party 3-4 Oct 2015
- www.cqp.org