Virtual Box is free for non-commercial users. You've got to have some pretty good hardware meaning dual core processor, as much memory as you can afford and a good video card.

I have it running on a quad core AMD @ 4.0GHz, 32G of DDR3 ram, and a small time gamer class video card. I have four virtual machines installed, XP, Win7 which gets used the most, Windows 10, and for old times sake DOS 6.22 to run Castle Wolfenstein. The hard drives are a pair of 512 Gig SSD's. I don't run an Linux distro VM because the accessibility options for the Linux desktop just plain suck compared to Windows.

You can run Windows on a Linux/FreeBSD host and don't have to dork around trying to get WINE running correctly. WINES days are numbered.