The menu option in the K3 is PTT KEY. If you set this to OFF-OFF then you won't have any issues with transmit coming on when you don't want it. Just make sure you use CAT based PTT in your software and you are good to go.
73

-----Original Message----- From: tomb18
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 3:34 PM
To: j...@audiosystemsgroup.com ; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] WSJT-X K3/K3s hanging as Tx

Using hardware PTT using Dtr or RTS is technically fine but many software packages will default to having them on with the consequence that the transmitter is in transmit mode if PTT is set to dtr. It becomes more and more complicated with more software hooked up. I have yet to see any software that cannot be used with software cat based PTT. It gets rid of most issues. As I said it is fine, but it takes more effort to make sure everything is set correctly. It also is possible that you will have to go into the driver advanced options for the serial port and turn off interrogation at start and other possible values. Play it safe, just use software Ptt for everything. 73 Tom Va2fsq.com

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com> Date: 2017-11-13 3:18 PM (GMT-05:00) To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net Subject: Re: [Elecraft] WSJT-X K3/K3s hanging as Tx