Hi Joe,

> On 11/13/2017 9:01 PM, Gary Smith wrote:
>  >
>  > The only way I can reproduce the problem
>  > every time ( And FWIW, PTT-Key is set to
>  > off-off) is to go into the WSJT-X
>  > settings, select Radio, click on test PTT
>  > and it creates this exact condition. If I
>  > exit settings without clicking on Test PTT
>  > again to shut the state off, the K3s is
>  > then left in this transmit state with no
>  > RF being made.
>
> That's because "Test PTT" in WSJT-X is a *TOGGLE*
> exactly like the XMIT button on the front of the
> K3.  By clicking "Test PTT" only once, you are
> placing the K3 into transmit and *NEVER* switching
> it back to receive!  WSTJ-X and the K3 are both
> doing *exactly* what you told it to do.

### I used that as an example of the state
I find sometimes find the K3s in. There is
something unique to WSJT-X that no other
software does that makes this happen, I
only find it randomly if I am using
WSJT-X. Never experienced it before WSJT-X
and never with any other
situation/software.

>  > The problem appears to me to be a still
>  > buggy WSJT-X issue that the authors have
>  > not yet become interested in attending to.
>
> WSJT-X is not buggy.  The radio control interface
> does not handle asynchronous data and it was not
> designed to do so.  That means you *must* disable
> AI1; (set AI0;) in the K3 command (no automatic
> information reports) and *MUST NOT* share control
> of the K3 with any other software - where that
> software will poll the K3 and cause it to generate
> any unexpected data to hamlib (the WSJT-X control
> module).

### WSJT-X is the only software I use that
does this. The others share control as in
N1MM and MMTTY, Logic & FLDigi working
fine together. Logic runs beautifully with
N1MM and MMTTY, no conflicts of any kind.
If they can do this flawlessly, it is not
unreasonable to expect WSJT-X to play nice
as well.

> Your complaint really belongs on the WSJT-X list
> and not the Elecraft list.

### I disagree. As is so often the
situation when someone has an issue with
Company A's product and Company B's
product is being used and there is a
conflict... the stock answer is that
problem belongs to the other company, ask
them what to do. It's an old saw and in
this case, I'm told I should ask on the
other list. Everyone feels it's the other
guy's fault and that question belongs
elsewhere. Ask there and they tell you how
the K3 is non standard and to ask on the
Elecraft list. The person in the middle
gets trashed on both sides. I've
experienced this for so long I've come to
like trash.

As I said in the words below, I was asking
on the Elecraft list if others had
experienced this problem. My original
statement was: "Anyone experience this and
figure out how to prevent it?"

Where better to ask than a place devoted
to this type of radio if others have the
problem and if so, how to resolve it.

When I first started with WSJT-X I asked
on the WSJT-X reflector and was told quite
clearly if I want to use it, I had to run
it directly to the port for the K3, no
other control software should be running
at the same time and if I wanted to use
logging I had to use JT Alert and have my
logging done via that. I was also told
virtual ports are nothing but trouble, not
to use them with WSJT-X and there is no
help for those that use them. It seems to
me there's a lot of attitude on that list.

FWIW, I did find I can use a virtual port
with it # "10" If I assign any other
numerical value it will not work. Won't
work with Win 7, I tried for hours but
with this computer & Win 10, WSJT-X works
on virtual port 10. All the other software
works on whatever virtual port I tell it
to work on. WSJT-X is not yet user
friendly, I suspect it will become more so
over time.

If I had the skills I would be happy to
help make that so. My skills lie in other
areas; want someone to help keep you alive
following a traumatic injury? I can do
that. Write software? I can't do that.

73,
Gary