Since a major uproar over energy conservation seems to have erupted on
another thread here <G> I'll ask the question I raised there again:

Has anyone considered using desiccants rather than leave the power on 24/7
if you're in an area where considerable moisture condenses in your rig? I
believe the one used most often around electronic gear is silica dioxide
(SiO2). It's a naturally occurring mineral that is commonly sold in an
"indicating" form, small crystals that change from blue to pink as the
material absorbs moisture. It can absorb up to 40% of its own weight at
normal room temperatures and is quite easy to "recharge". You just put it in
a warm oven for a while until it turns blue again! It's often sold in
inexpensive five-pound cans by stores catering to the dried-flower trade.

Even though I've lived within a few hundred feet of the Pacific Ocean I've
yet to encounter any corrosion problems. If I did my first choice would be
to reduce the humidity in some energy-efficient way rather than simply leave
the power on. If one wanted to be really rigorous about it, a small solar
oven could handle the recharging process <G>. Even on ships, it takes months
-- often a year or two -- for something like the old-fashioned lifeboat
radios that enclosed about a cubit foot of air inside their case to have a
desiccant tube about 1 inch in diameter and 4 inches long become saturated.

Ron AC7AC