On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 21:58 -0700, Phil Kane wrote:
>   The only ones at the agency who welcomed the privatization of
>   exams (both ham and commercial) were a number of secretaries

The first time I took the 2nd Telegraph my steely eyed examiner was a
very nice woman (Seattle office).  I showed up to take the exam with an
electronic keyer and she laughed at me and said I could set that aside
and use their hand key if I wanted to take the exam.  (Evidently, a bug
would have been acceptable but I didn't even own one and couldn't have
sent with one anyway -- I'd been using a keyer for far too long.)

So I copied the 20 WPM without flaw and then started pumping out the CW
on the hand key with what had to be the world's worst fist.  I hadn't
used a hand key in 20 years!  About half way through, she said - and I
quote: "That's just not fast enough".  <GASP>  So I cranked up the speed
and she somehow managed to get a minute's worth of text out of the
gibberish I was sending and passed me.  Actually, I think she just took
pity on me.  Heh..

Yeah, I liked the old FCC.

73,
-Doug, W7KF