On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 11:46 -0800, Andrew Faber wrote:
> Hi all,
>   I'm  new to the reflector, but did use my brand new K3 (ser #76) last
> weekend in CQWW CW from P49Y, as a single band 40M HP entrant.

thanks for the k3 to K3 QSO.  I was also on in the test with my K3,
casual(ish) SOHP(a)

>   --RIT.  I've been in email contact with Wayne and understand that he may
> add an option for continuous display.

I found that I did not really miss this at all, firstly the K3 has a
nice bright LED that comes on as soon as you are no longer listening on
the TX frequency, this is much more useful than a simple Split
indicator.

Secondly my logging software (N1MM logger) displays the RIT offset for
me at all times, I do most of my looking at the Computer not the rig
when contesting.

I do find that split is implemented very nicely on the K3 and recently I
have been using that where in the past i might have used RIT.
I can however see how under some situations where a full time RIT
display will be useful.

>   --Bandwidth.  I did change the settings frequently, depending on the size
> of the pileup. I have the 400 Hz 8-pole and 200 Hz 5-pole filters.  I
> generally used a wider setting, but did go down to 200 and 150 at times.

I was quiet happy with the K3 in this area as it currently stands, My
ears are the final judge on any filter setting however the K3 roofing
filter / graphic combination is quite intuitive. To me the actual
numbers don't matter, it's hearing the other guy that counts. However I
never looked at the actual numbers on the icoms either.

>   -- Power.
>   Not sure how this would be implemented, as the natural approach (tapping
> the control) already has another function.  Maybe two quick taps?

I am not sure why this would be important to have on display? The only
thing that matters is the power going to the antenna, for this I have an
LP-100.
However My amp requires roughly the same amount of drive on all bands
and the primary reason for tweaking power is to stay within our 400W
limit
Nudging the power control only moves the power by a small fraction of
1dB so this is as easy a way as any to check what the radio is set to.
there is no way that the other end will ever be able to tell that you
have gone from 70 to 69 watts to check your current setting.
The 7800 gives no real indication of output power either, just a %
indicator, the K3 does the same on the SMeter in any case.

I suppose what I am really saying here is that I am not finding issues
with the User interface choices that have been made by elecraft with the
K3 to make everything fit on the front panel.There is not a single thing
I miss about the user interface on the 7800.
(some may say the bandscope on the 7800 is lovely! however I am using
the SDR14 on the IF out of the K3 and it's by far the best bandscope
solution I have ever used.)

73
Brendan EI6IZ

--
Don‘t complain. Nobody will understand. Or care. And certainly don‘t try
to fix the situation yourself. It‘s dangerous. Leave it to a highly