I don't know about the OP's requirements but to me the advantage of being able
to use the FSK D mode would be the ability to run FSK without and interface.

Presently I am running both Fldgi and cocoaModem and they both work great in
AFSK modes so I guess it's not a big deal to me.

BTW, one of the reasons I run cocoaModem instead of Fldigi on RTTY is the
ability to watch both the Main and Sub receivers on a waterfall and line up the
next contact while waiting to finish another.

Rick
K6LE