On Feb 8, 2010, at 3:27 PM, Julian, G4ILO wrote:

> By 50 watts average PSK power do you mean PWR set to 50, or PWR set to 100
> or whatever gives an average 50W out?

50 W with PWR knob, and measured to be close to 50W on an external averaging
wattmeter with an idling Varicode on BPSK31

This means that the peaks of the BPSK31 signal is probably hitting somewhere
near 100W instantaneous power.  The same will be true with QPSK31 when idling,
but QPSK31 puts out a little more average power than BPSK31 when actively
sending text (the two extra phase angles in the QPSK31 constellation don't dip
all the way to zero power when there is a phase transition).

Because of the envelope waveshaping, many novices are confused when they see
power flickering as they type -- because power *is* indeed changing depending
on the character that is being transmitted :-).  The Idle Varicode, where the
envelope of every symbol (i.e., every bit in BPSK and every dibit in QPSK) goes
through zero, and has the lowest average power for BPSK31.

> The K3 seems just about idiot proof in digi modes. I often say the K3 is the

> ideal radio for operating digital modes.

Not completely bug free, yet.  The K3's CAT command "KY" command interface
still has problems, so you can't do FSK directly through CAT, for example.

73
Chen, W7AY